Tuesday, May 22, 2012

STUPENDOUS!!!

Sorry about my time away. The reasons were computer-related. First off, I was trying to catch the Leige-Bastogne-Liege one-day cycling classic on the internet, and visited a recommended site. I was so anxious that I downloaded a viewer similar to Adobe as per the instructions (which I could have ignored and still caught the race, but those are some of the tricks played by such sites of dubious repute) that had a trojan in the scripts. Tried almost everything to remove it but fialed. FYI, this particular trojan is called searchnu.com/406.

 I then took my hard drives to a friend's house to see if there was anything to be done, and when I got back the hard drive I utilize to store photos and films broke. I had to purchase another 1 terabyte hard drive and am currently in the process of getting the data transferred. Then my video card flames out when the fan cooler dies out. And no, I didn't get to see any of the Leige race... But there is lots to get into, so let's start on a positive note...

While laying around on Mother's Day waiting for everyone to get together to celebrate this most special day, I tuned into ESPN.com and caught the football match between Queen's Park Rangers (QPR) and Manchester City. I had no idea but there was a lot riding on this match. If Man City pulled it off, they would take the English Premier League Championship from Manchester United for the first time since 1968.

It just so happened to be the most awesome match I've ever witnessed. Man City managed to score two goals in stoppage time to take a 3-2 victory, sending their supporters and all of the blokes doing color commentary on television into an absolute frenzy.


Unfortunately, the video links to Argentine Sergio Agüero's stunning match-winning goal with 90 seconds left have been disabled so I can't post one up. But do try to catch the whole match somewhere if you can. Usually this blog is a forum to bust chops, but I have to give crredit to QPR for not only scoring two fantastic goals, but for hanging in so tough. I don't have adequate data on this, but it seemed that QPR spent at least 80% of the match defending their own goal from an absolute onslaught by Man City.

Their defense was absolutely gladatorial, but eventually even such an effort fell short against a team that not only won the Premiership, but lead the league in goals scored. This is why they were able to pull the championship away from Man U even though both teams were tied in victories. And Sergio will never have to pay for another meal anywhere his supporters are within shouting distance. Free pints for the rest of his life!!!


There is always an interesting side story to events like this if you are not a hard-core follower of the league. The striker who slammed the match-winning goal home, Sergio Agüero, is an Argentine wonderboy who turned professional for his country's Division-I league at the age of FIFTEEN. Not only that he is married to Giannina Maradona, the youngest daughter of Argentine football legend Diego Maradona.

The couple had a son named Benjamin, who was born in Madrid on February 19, 2009. How's THAT for genetic engineering? This kid may or may not grow up to play this beautiful game of football, but it won't be for lack of pedigree, that's for sure.

Sergio and his wife Giannina-


Sergio and his beautiful son, Benjamin-

No comments:

Post a Comment